How to Root LG G2
The procedure given below has been written carefully and tested successfully, yet it is considered risky. By rooting your G G2, you will void its warranty and put your device in risk. In case of any mishap, the developers behind the method or DroidViews will not be responsible. Proceed only if your agree to this condition. Also, do not try the method on any other model of the device other than those describe below.
Compatible LG G2 Models:
– AT&T G2 D800 with ROM version D80010d
– T-Mobile G2 D801 with ROM version Shipping ROM
– International G2 D802 with ROM version Shipping ROM
– Rogers G2 D803 with ROM version Shipping ROM
– Bell G2 D803 with ROM version Shipping ROM
– Telus G2 D803 with ROM version Shipping ROM
– Verizon G2 VS980 with ROM version VS98010B and VS98011A
– Korean G2 F320k with ROM version Shipping ROM
ioRoot has now been updated and works with all LG G2 models running Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware! However, you’ll have to wait before a working method for installing a custom recovery is available.
Root LG G2 with ioRoot:
1. Download the rooting package for the LG G2 and extract the zip on your computer: iorootxx.zip
2. Download and install LG USB Drivers on your computer: Download Here
3. Enable USB Debugging on your phone. Go to Settings> Developer Options and enable USB Debugging.
4. Go to Settings> PC Settings and select the proper mode to connect the device to computer. If you have Verizon LG G2, select Ethernet mode.
5. Now connect your phone to the computer.
6. Go to “ioroot10″ folder and run the root.bat file. Doing this will launch a window like this:
7. Just press a key on your computer’s keyboard. It’ll run the rooting script and SuperUser will be pushed to your device, signalling root on the device.
So, now you should have a rooted LG G2. Open your phone’s app drawer and look for the presence of the SuperUser app there.
Additionally, you can install the Root Checker app from the market and verify root access on the device.
Install TWRP Recovery on LG G2:
Please do not forget to check your device model number from Settings> About before downloading the TWRP image (see above for list of G2 models).
1. Download the appropriate TWRP Recovery image (*.img) file from below:
- International LG G2 TWRP (D802)
- AT&T LG G2_TWRP
- Verizon LG G2 TWRP
- T-Mobile USA LG G2 TWRP
- Sprint LG G2 TWRP
- Bell Canada LG G2 TWRP
- Rogers Canada LG G2 TWRP
- Korean F320K LG G2 TWRP
2. Make sure you have installed LG USB Drivers. In case ADB does not recognize your phone, try this driver: LG_VZW_United_WHQL_v2.11.1.exe
3. Enable USB Debugging on your phone.
4. The TWRP Recovery image file will be install using ADB commands, so make sure to setup ADB (Android Debug Bridge) on your computer.
5. Download loki-master.zip file (Github link) and extract it on your computer.
6. Now copy the TWRP recovery image file (openrecovery-twrp-220.127.116.11-g2xxx.img) file to ADB folder.
7. Open the “loki-master> bin” folder and copy the “loki_flash” file to the ADB folder.
8. Connect your phone to the computer.
9. Launch cmd window from inside the ADB folder and type the following command lines (replace the name of recovery image [in Red] with that of the one you have downloaded):
adb push loki_flash /data/local/tmp/loki_flash
adb push openrecovery-twrp-18.104.22.168-g2xxx.img /data/local/tmp/openrecovery-twrp-22.214.171.124-g2xxx.img
10. TWRP will now be installed on your LG G2. In case you do not see # prompt after issuing the above command, type “su” to gain root access.
11. To reboot your device in TWRP, issue the following command (once again replace the name of recovery image with your own):
chmod 777 loki_flash
./loki_flash recovery /data/local/tmp/openrecovery-twrp-126.96.36.199-g2xxx.img
adb reboot recovery
If you have done everything correctly and the procedure went right, your phone should boot into TWRP Recovery mode.
To get out of TWRP and boot your phone normally, tap on Reboot and then System.
Alternative Method to Install TWRP on LG G2:
Download and install the FreeGee app from the Play Store and use the app to install TWRP recovery on your device.